CnC Source Forums: Gaming Update #50 | Completed: Repair Facility - CnC Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gaming Update #50 | Completed: Repair Facility

#1 User is offline   Nyerguds 

• C&C1/RA1 Mod Maker
  • Group: Public Relations

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

--- Repair Facility ---

Tanks cost money. A LOT of money. Since tank armor has advanced to the point where several anti-armor missiles are needed to take down one single tank, GDI and Nod commanders quickly realized that it was not only cheaper to repair than to replace, but that this was also actually a viable tactic.

So, with that reasoning in mind, a vehicle maintenance structure was created. This building is where the magic happens. This building makes tactical retreats more than just delaying the inevitable destruction of your damaged vehicles. This building is the Repair Facility.

Posted Image

Below the deceptively simple surface, it houses a wide array of automated repair systems that can restore any damaged vehicle to operational status for only a fraction of its original cost.

(Note that the game engine technicalities on this aren't completely clear yet; given the free drone repair system of the C&C3 engine it might be impossible to actually charge money for repair facility usage)

[The Repair Facility was modeled and textured by Ric.]

#2 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:09 AM

One of my favourite structures... :) Will we get the pretty flashing lights too?

#3 User is offline   Nyerguds 

• C&C1/RA1 Mod Maker

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

We'll see... as I already mentioned, the repair system of C&C3 is quite irritating. It's up to that mysterious branch of our team we call "coders". To be honest, none of us know what kind of dark magic (and possibly virgin sacrifices) these guys are performing.

#4 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

View PostNyerguds, on 01 November 2010 - 01:35 PM, said:

We'll see... as I already mentioned, the repair system of C&C3 is quite irritating. It's up to that mysterious branch of our team we call "coders". To be honest, none of us know what kind of dark magic (and possibly virgin sacrifices) these guys are performing.

Understood. Let's say there's technically no way to do it; Do you think free repairs would significantly alter the game balance? In the original C&C, every unit was precious since they were expensive, resources were limited, and the overall pace of the game was slower. In C&C 3, the pace is much quicker and most units are pretty expendable; if they die, you just build more. I would assume that with Tiberian Dawn you'd be aiming for a balance similar to C&C1.

#5 User is offline   Nyerguds 

• C&C1/RA1 Mod Maker

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

Yeah... the game definitely needs to be adjusted so units build a lot slower.

I've tested out a lot of that stuff in C&C1 though, so it shouldn't be a problem to reproduce it accuately.

#6 User is offline   lazy6pyro 

• Flame Trooper
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:49 AM

During the times I've play-tested it, I've had a much harder time floating an insane amount of cash (unless I'm testing on our "money" map with just about everything already built for me), and it does seem slower though you can still manage an effective rush.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users