Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Future of C&C Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NODSOLDIERGIRL 

• CBCPT Leader
  • Group: Network Staff

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Many people believe that C&C4 will be the final game in the C&C series forever. This, of course is not true and is explained in this post by APOC at the official forums:

C&C; 4 is the end of the current Tiberium storyline, but there is a future for the Command & Conquer franchise as our new RTS leader, Jon Van Caneghem has alluded to in his interview at GamaSutra not that long ago. I will say, many of the preconceived notions from that interview are very far fetched.

I can tell you with 100% certainty, involving you, the community, in the future of the C&C; franchise, will be critical and important to us.

For now, our dev team is focused on completing a great game that will be C&C; 4. Just IMO, I think it may surprise.

-APOC

This really sounds promising lets hope it turns out good, What do you think about C&C 4?

#2 User is offline   General Aurum 

• Miles Invictus
  • Group: Public Relations

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

View PostNODSOLDIERGIRL, on 20 January 2010 - 08:52 PM, said:

This really sounds promising lets hope it turns out good, What do you think about C&C 4?

Of course it sounds promising. That's the whole point. But after participating in the beta, I can honestly say that "C&C"4 does not interest me in the slightest. Why? Because it is too far removed from both reality and the gameplay concepts which the series is built upon. When I look at the game, I see a conflict between toys, not a conflict between military forces. I see a game that is unfit to bear the series' label.

The games of the past gave one a sense that our actions in the game were affecting real-life battles; that what we were seeing on screen was actually happening. There was a feeling that maybe, just maybe, we were leading our troops across the battlefields of Europe, Africa, or the Americas. Playing the beta, it's immediately apparent that this is being treated as a game--nothing more. There is no attempt to immerse the player, and the overall art design strains the suspension of disbelief, if not shatters it outright. The unit designs are bulky and exaggerated, if not outright silly, and there is absolutely no sense of scale.

The gameplay further reinforces this idea that it is merely a game. The unintuitive system of counters follows no real-world logic other than that dictated by the designers. In the past, it was easy to understand: cannons are effective against hard targets, machine guns are effective against soft targets, missiles are multi-role with specialty against aircraft, and artillery will grind everything on the ground to fine powder at range. This system was easy to pick up, plus it was rather realistic. By going with this large system of hard-counters, instead of many soft counters, it creates gameplay where the objective is simply to spam the units which will counter your opponent's force. There is no tactical depth whatsoever, and the only "strategy" the game has is to hit whatever area your foe's forces aren't currently guarding.

If you ask me, this is a game whose playerbase is going to evaporate quickly. In my mind, it's just another attempt to harvest money from the fanbase instead of providing a grand finale to the epic struggle between GDI and Nod. I don't expect the story to be any sort of saving grace, nor the already-hyped first-person cutscenes to be anything more than a large waste of production cash. The story itself seems to have been hacked together to support the gameplay mechanics, rather than to complement the existing fiction, which will undoubtedly lead to plot holes and inconsistencies galore. When placed alongside, say, Starcraft II, and the amount of effort being put into that project, C&C 4 just seems too rushed. Were I in EA's shoes, I would extend development for another couple of months to polish things up, to at least address the concerns the fans have been leveling at the game, but we all know that will never happen.

#3 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

View PostNODSOLDIERGIRL, on 20 January 2010 - 08:52 PM, said:

What do you think about C&C 4?

This game has made me give up on the franchise. I don't care anymore. As long as it is in EA's hands, it has no future.

I do still have plenty of passion for Westwood's titles and for the modding community however, I just have no hope for any new titles being any good now.

#4 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

View PostMighty BOB!, on 22 January 2010 - 08:27 PM, said:

This game has made me give up on the franchise. I don't care anymore. As long as it is in EA's hands, it has no future.

I do still have plenty of passion for Westwood's titles and for the modding community however, I just have no hope for any new titles being any good now.

Would have to say exactly the same.

#5 User is offline   Tore 

• Minigunner
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

C&C4 deserves the "C&C" title less than Generals infact "C&C4" doesn't even deserve to be associated with C&C at all.

Generals is a nice game, even without a proper story; it didn't take itself too seriously. Generals does have a silly feel to it but Generals seems to be in some ways relating to the present. The combat system of Generals screams C&C while the resource gathering and construction hinted towards Blizzards games. Generals is 'Craft meets C&C game in many ways.

C&C4 on the other hand screams "I'm milking a franchise!". C&C4 has little relation to the C&C series and even less to reality. The scaling in the game is worse than the scaling Emperor Battle For Dune and yet I believe EBFD is a better C&C game than any of the newer "C&C" titles. Infantry the size of mobile bases? That makes no sense!

The only things that can relate C&C4 to the C&C series is GDI, Nod and Kane.

There are
-no sidebar
-no tiberium harvesting (tiberium as powerups WTF?)
-"harmless" tiberium
-no bases
-combat system taken from Universe at War.
-False competitions, EVERYONE knew that "Tiberian Twilight" would win!
-Not listening to polls, the opinion for "RPG elements in C&C4" was negative and they did it anyway.

I bought C&C3 and was disappointed, I bought Kane's Wrath and was disappointed, I got RA3 and was disappointed. The final disappointment is C&C4.

I do not hate EA they have published a lot of good games, they are doing a good job at promoting the C&C Community but I hate how they treat C&C itself. They are taking no time to think "What does the fans want?".

Blizzard obviously did this with SC2 which seems to become a great sequel to SC1.

I hope EA sees this before it's too late...

#6 User is offline   General Aurum 

• Miles Invictus

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

View PostTore, on 25 January 2010 - 08:17 AM, said:

I hope EA sees this before it's too late...

It's already far too late, I'm afraid. At EA, the development timeframe is set in stone by the "financial" people, not the developers themselves. As long as it will turn a profit, they'll ship an inferior product. In fact, I'd wager that's a smart decision, because the way it is now, C&C4 can't possibly compete with Starcraft 2--not without a complete redesign. Better to take what they can now than try and shift sales away from that juggernaut.

I do hope they have the decency to release a mod SDK for C&C4, though. At least that way, the community can fix it.

#7 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

View PostGeneral Aurum, on 25 January 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

I do hope they have the decency to release a mod SDK for C&C4, though. At least that way, the community can fix it.

Why bother?

#8 User is offline   General Aurum 

• Miles Invictus

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

View PostWaraddict, on 25 January 2010 - 01:27 PM, said:

Why bother?

That's a fair argument, really.

#9 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:32 AM

View PostTore, on 25 January 2010 - 08:17 AM, said:

C&C4 deserves the "C&C" title less than Generals

You know, I hadn't thought about that before, but you're right.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users