CnC Source Forums: Blog #17 | Climax - CnC Source Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blog #17 | Climax ...And Now, The Crescendo!

#1 User is offline   General Aurum 

• Miles Invictus
  • Group: Public Relations

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

--- Climax ---

--- …And Now, The Crescendo! ---

The world of C&C has always been evolving, both in a literal and in a narrative sense. From the series’ very first installment, the theme of unstoppable change has been ever-present. Through the eyes of a Commander ™ we saw our entire world in a state of upheaval, a state of chaos, a state of strife. We saw our world swallowed whole by the future which was indelibly making itself manifest. The old gave way to the new, and a darker time awaited. After that, it inexplicably got brighter again, but that’s another story.

One of the most interesting things I found about the original Tiberian Dawn was how the world unfolded. From the get-go, it’s frighteningly apparent that there is trouble afoot. The very first thing we see is a building being bombed by terrorists [A “Trade Center,” no less.-ed], and from the reports on the UN and deployment of troops, we see that the thick, chunky stew of war is brewing. From there, we are gradually introduced to the conflict unfolding around the world, as well as the war’s catalyst—that all-important ardent crystal known as Tiberium.

Seeing the end result of the game’s narrative, it’s easy to forget just how far it took to get there. All the fighting, all the bloodshed, the sweat, the tears, the hours spent in leading your forces to victory pales in comparison to leveling a structure with an Ion Cannon, doesn’t it? These climaxes in the story are what leave the biggest impression. When you think of Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, or any other major literary or cinematic work, you don’t recall the maneuvering of the plot, the individual actions of each character, or the boring details. You remember the flashy things, the iconic elements of each story.

Our mod has had a history with a similar narrative. We’ve released concept art and in-progress pictures of the models and other assets as we’ve gone along. From lines on paper to bare grey surfaces to shiny textured things, we’ve given you a story on the mod’s progress. We’ve written volumes, not necessarily with words, but with actions. We’ve built up our story with, I think, a compelling tale, as we’ve continued to develop our vision of the Dawn of the Tiberium Age.

It’s now time for a climax in our narrative. I’ll not spoil the surprise for you all, as that would be unprofessional of me as a writer. Besides, there are still the expected things associated with TD’s blogs to read through before we get there. Think of it as more narration—a few chapters’ worth of suspense before the crescendo. Or, if you really want to ruin it all, you can skip to the end of the blog. Regardless, let’s get this thing rolling, shall we?

---

--- NEWS ---

And where else to start than here? Yes, dear readers, it’s that time when you get to hear about what’s been happening behind the scenes. And boy, there has been a lot happening. For example, I have a bit of a lengthy anecdote concerning a recent altercation with aardvarks which I will share with you. It all began in 1998, really, when the beasts were[I’m saving your brain cells by cutting this short, people. Thank me.-ed]and that was how a judicious use of cheese managed to win the day.

---

With that crisis resolved, we found time to accomplish many things. Including, but not limited to, the re-establishment of our mythical SVN device. For those peasants too ignorant to know, or at least those too lazy to check Wikipedia, this piece of software allows us to modify and update the mod as assets are completed, things are coded, etc, etc, etc. It’s a very nifty program, as it keeps the entire team up to date easily and efficiently—and with our members spread across entire continents, it’s about the only way to do so.

---

For those who don't know, the date of this blog marks the second anniversary of the mod's founding. That's right, the team has been at this for a good two years now. I cannot take credit for the work done during that time, as I've not served the mod for even half that long. So, I hope you'll all join me in giving a grand round of applause to the team for their hard work, their dedication, and their selfless pursuit of excellence, all of which have not just kept the mod alive, but have allowed it to flourish.

---

Now, by format, this is the part of the blog where we introduce new members of the team. However, we’ve not found any new blood to drink since last blog, meaning this part will be unfortunately devoid of my brilliant verbiage. So, that makes the next section all the more important.

CALLING ALL C&C'ERS! IF YOU'VE GOT EXPERIENCE IN THESE AREAS:

• Texturing
  • Mapping With C&C3 Worldbuilder
  • Particle Systems

WE WANT YOU ON THE TEAM!

Seriously, if you want to read more of my words (and who wouldn’t, honestly?), join up and give me something to write about. I vow to be as merciless honest detailed in describing your talents as possible. Oh, and of course you’ll be working for a noble cause, developing skills, and showing the world your expertise, but that pales in comparison, right?

---

--- UPDATES ---

So, between the last blog and now, we found time to prepare a veritable boat-load of our signature Gaming Updates. As I’m sure you’re all well aware, these updates run the gamut from aircraft to barbed wire to concept art. If you’re not well aware, then I’m not sure what to say to you, other than, “GET YOUR REAR IN GEAR AND CHECK OUT THE INTEL, SOLDIER!” You’ll find links to the updates below, and can thank DamageINC, Godwin, Ric, Soviet Deso, and Toniko for them, and lazy6pyro for the cameos.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

---

--- SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY UPDATES ---

As previously mentioned, today is our two-year anniversary, and to celebrate, we've got a special (i.e., genuine) version of the wallpaper Nyerguds posted back on the 1st. Alongside it is an update debuting with this blog, showcasing our new logo. From what I've seen, it's been two years well spent, and I'm sure the both the mod and team will only get more mature as time goes on. Now, check out these updates, or face the wrath of our name-calling, Stinkface.

Posted Image

Posted Image
1280x1024 Wallpaper 1600x1200 Wallpaper
1280x800 Wallpaper (widescreen) 1600x1050 Wallpaper (widescreen)

---

--- WORK IN PROGRESS ---

Now, I hardly need to ask why you’re all really here. You want to see the fruits of the team’s shadowy labors. You want to taste them, revel in their flavor, and devour them with rampant voracity. Rest assured; Tiberian Dawn will not disappoint: the Work in Progress is like eating a steak dinner with the eyes. And as for dessert... well, for now behold the tastiness of these images; look on these succulent morsels and salivate, as I go to make myself a sandwich.

---

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

We'll begin with this trio of concepts by DamageINC. First is another atmospheric piece signature of Mr. INC, depicting a Nod transport taking off as the sun rises (or sets?) on the airfield which is its home. I like detail he's included, such as the vapor trail across the tarmac. The second depicts an A-10 configured for carrier-borne operations, an interesting development by GDI engineers. And the third... well, ew. Not much to be said about that one, other than, "Sucks to be Nod."

---

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now on to the 3D assets. We'll start with something immobile. I’m sure everyone remembers these lethal base defenses. It was a lot of work modeling the Advanced Guard Tower just right, but Ric was easily up to the task. You’ll all be in for a treat when we release an in-game demonstration of its capabilities, as they far exceed the original’s in awesomeness.

---

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

We’ll bump the immobility factor up a notch with a structure that does absolutely nothing. At least, it doesn’t do anything on its own. You, however, will be doing a lot with this structure, such as capturing it, raiding it, and other things. For within these walls lie many secrets, many things of value, and it is up to you to uncover them.

---

Posted Image

And if you're sitting still, why not throw up some sandbags for good measure? With Ric as their modeller, your infantry can rest assured behind these truly formidable defenses. And if they seem high-poly, that's because they are. The final model will use screen captures of this model as its texture, thus yielding a high amount of quality for little strain on the game engine.

---

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

And of course, where would we be without this structure? As any good C&C'er should know, the Refinery is very much the lifeline of your operations, so you'd best bow down and worship this magnificent structure and the gifts it bestows. After all, who doesn't like the sound of money entering their coffers? [We are providing GDI and Nod versions separately, referencing the classic and N64 versions respectively, so that the two factions have a little contrast. Like in N64, the rear chamber is exposing itself to the environment- Nod wouldn't care to hide its spoils from damaging the world, after all. GDI is much more cautious. -ed]

---

Posted Image
Posted Image

And to round out the list of structures, we have a hospital—a place of healing, a place of rest… which you’ll have to commandeer in a hail of gunfire. This model will also serve as a research facility in the campaign. Perhaps both structures will be used outside of single-player as well.

---

Posted Image
Posted Image

So, now we move onto the mobile assets. First, updates have been made to the SSM launcher. Ric tweaked the missiles on back to more closely resemble some real-world examples. They’re bigger, beefier, and more a threat to GDI's slow-moving vehicles and slower-moving structures than ever.

---

Posted Image
Posted Image

And here is Nod’s high-speed hit-and run vehicle in all its glory. Based on the lightning-fast Chenowth DPV and with a nice little 50-caliber as its main armament, this thing will be running down GDI infantry with little difficulty. The detail Ric included in this model is fantastic, and will be made all the better when driver, gunner, and navigator are in place.

---

Posted Image

To conclude this cavalcade of 3D engineering, we’ll give you a glimpse into the realms of FMV. That’s what this model, made by DamageINC, will be used for. Look closely, and you’ll notice a group of fully-realized F-18s sitting on the deck, as well. I need hardly say that he has done an excellent job.

---

--- IN-GAME IMAGES ---

Yes, it is time now for what you’ve been waiting for, or if you’ve skipped ahead to this point, what your impatience wouldn’t let you wait for. I can say little that will make these screenshots any more appealing, so perhaps it is best that I keep my silence. That said, enjoy this most glorious gallery of gargantuan-sized glamour-shots, and give gracious gratitude to the spectacular team which has provided them. [note: the house colors are still being finalized. -ed]

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

---

--- END NOTES ---

Its almost a shame to close the door on this blog—it almost seems like a cliffhanger after such epic content. Fret not, though, my dear readers, we have given you but a taste of what’s to come. We’ll have plenty more to show you soon, including... well, let's just say that you won't be disappointed when the next blog rolls around. You might even call this part one of two.

All right, yes, this is most definitely a cliffhanger. Don’t let that fact discourage you, however. More importantly, don’t let that fact lead you to, say, throw rotten plant matter at me. This climax is over. It’s time to start building toward the next one. After all, that’s how a compelling narrative functions; rise and fall, rise and fall.

We’ll continue penning our story, and I hope you’ll be there with us, dear readers.

-General Aurum
Public Relations
Tiberian Dawn

#2 User is offline   lazy6pyro 

• Flame Trooper
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Congrats everyone on still being alive and not completely killing each other for 2 years!

#3 User is offline   Ðüüüδε007 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Production Manager, Website Owner
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

Rofl indeed. Thanks be to everyone helping, and viewing on this project :)

#4 User is offline   Ric 

• Freeee Deeee

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Can't believe it's been 2 years already. It's been a pleasure working in such a talented team and with a final push we will get this mod finished :)

Ric

#5 User is offline   DamageINC 

• TD Lead 3D Artist

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

yeah definitely feels like we can get this done now.

#6 User is offline   AAK625 

• Civilian
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

Good looking stuff there guys!

View Postlazy6pyro, on Apr 25 2009, 10:20 PM, said:

Congrats everyone on still being alive and not completely killing each other for 2 years!

Hello Lazy, it's been a while my friend.

#7 User is offline   Lord Grievous 

• Flame Trooper

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:37 AM

W00t, lookin' good :)

Can't wait to play this mod, keep up the good work!

#8 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:06 AM

Holy crap it's Lord Grievous. Long time no see.

Also congrats on two years TD!

#9 User is offline   Lauren 

• Technician

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:54 AM

Yay nice screens, its very cool to see the shader working ingame with some touch ups (and not the lazy test stuff I did XD)
But I have to say that I heared some complains on German sites that the Tiberium now looks a bit dull in comparison with the buildings. (imo it lookes nice, just wanted to let you know about that)

#10 User is offline   meastp_ 

• Minigunner

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Amazing!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users