CnC Source Forums: Gaming Update #31 | Completed: Nod S.A.M. Site - CnC Source Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gaming Update #31 | Completed: Nod S.A.M. Site

#1 User is offline   General Aurum 

• Miles Invictus
  • Group: Public Relations

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

--- Surface-to-Air Missile Site ---

If there is one certainty in modern warfare, it is this: a military force that fails to control the airspace above their area of operations will face swift death from above. The aircraft of today are loaded with tons of highly-accurate ordinance, weapons which can reduce a mass of tanks to less than scrap metal in a matter of minutes. GDI’s Air Force has been a major threat to the Brotherhood since the First Tiberium War began, forcing Nod’s surface forces to go underground…literally.

Posted Image

Thus, we have Nod’s insidious S.A.M. launchers. Buried deep within the earth—sheltered by steel and concrete—these sky-watching assassins lie in wait. Relying on a network of hidden radar installations, they emerge from their dens only when the time is right—when their prey has no chance of escape. After the loss of several air convoys to these stealthy killers, GDI has been almost cripplingly hesitant to send in its air power, allowing Nod ground forces the much-needed leeway to push into the Western nations. From there, it is a simple measure to scatter even more S.A.M. sites about the land like seeds in the wind…

---

The S.A.M. Site was modeled by TD’s resident architect, Ric, and given a beautiful splash of color by Soviet Deso. The “Orca’s Bane” will be putting its missiles to good use quite soon.

#2 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

Whatta beauty! I'm curious: How much effort is/was/will be required to actually make this darn thing raise and lower? Does the C&C 3 engine have a built-in mechanic for that?

#3 User is offline   Nyerguds 

• C&C1/RA1 Mod Maker

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

As far as I know, our coding team has found solutions for all problems related to that. I think it's impossible to actually make it penetrate the terrain it's built on though, so you'll just see the gun rise out of a black surface.

#4 User is offline   lazy6pyro 

• Flame Trooper
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

I just wanted to say that as soon as I saw this texture from Deso, I wanted to have his children. Call me.

#5 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:35 AM

View PostNyerguds, on Jan 21 2009, 09:43 PM, said:

As far as I know, our coding team has found solutions for all problems related to that. I think it's impossible to actually make it penetrate the terrain it's built on though, so you'll just see the gun rise out of a black surface.

OK, so you actually have two separate objects: SAM above ground, SAM below ground, and you create an animation to switch between the two. Something like that.

#6 User is offline   Nyerguds 

• C&C1/RA1 Mod Maker

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

No idea. I'm just the team nitpicker. I'm not a coder :P

#7 User is offline   Kakashi 

• TD Tester
  • Group: Network Tester

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

The Nod rocket used to kill the MIR... err Philadelphia rose out of a hole in the ground too if I recall correctly, so the neccesary functionality is in there somewhere.

#8 User is offline   Golan 

• funky spacebeat opposition
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

View PostHerr_Koos, on Jan 22 2009, 10:35 AM, said:

OK, so you actually have two separate objects: SAM above ground, SAM below ground, and you create an animation to switch between the two. Something like that.

Switching objects is very glitched in TW. A simple transition state is all there is to getting the animation to work.

#9 User is offline   Đüüüδε007 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Production Manager, Website Owner
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

Plus there doesn't seem to be a way to make ground tiles transparent for units/structures, unless it was a grid on the map predefined as transparent in worldbuilder. (or if later models are adapted)

An example would be the Tiberium chasms in TW. If you try to code a simple model replacement, like putting a blossom tree in place of a chasm, you will notice a bunch of transparent tiles surrounding the base of the tree ingame, because the WB map had defined them that way, pre-code.

#10 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

OK, I think I follow you... I'm glad you guys have everything under control. It would be nice to have a look at some animations when they're done, like the clip you made of the MCV deploying. (Hint: SAM site.... ;) )

This post has been edited by Herr_Koos: 23 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users