• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vista = Windows ME? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

I want to thank Lion of the DEN for bringing this to my attention via his Weekend Blurb. Now we've all heard the complaints over the past several months about Windows Vista being a step backwards from XP in terms of performance. We've also all seen a few die-hard Vista fanboys claim that it is the best thing since electricity and indoor plumbing. And then of course there are the people who don't seem to have any performance problems with it, don't fall into the anti or pro Vista categories, and act like Switzerland (neutral).

If you fall into the first category (anti) like myself, you might be interested to know that infoworld.com has created a petition asking Microsoft to not discontinue sales of XP on June 30th of this year and to not end their support for XP in 2009. As of 9am PDT on January 28th, over 70,000 people have signed the petition. They've also created a page of links regarding campaigns to save XP which is due for Service Pack 3 soon (SP3 reportedly only increases the performance gap between XP and Vista even more by speeding XP up by between 10 and 50 percent).

Personally, I went down to the local computer store a few months ago and grabbed a box of XP Pro to guarantee that I can keep it as long as I want. It seems to me that Vista is a repeat of Windows Millennium Edition. Here's hoping that Windows 7 (code name Vienna) will be better. Until then I have my XP disc.

#2 User is offline   TSHyper 

• Technician
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Signed, and i agree.

I installed Vista and i acted about 1/3 of that of XP and gave me tons of problems with programs no running (even Visual Studio 2005 didn't work :S). After that i uninstalled it and went back to XP, what i will always use and make sure i have all updates on disc. Microsoft are really playing the wrong game, they should continue to support XP until the last copy is sold, XP helped them a lot in terms of re creating there reputation.

#3 User is offline   Korlash 

• TD Coder
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Late post ftw. You need to download service pack 1 for Visual Studio 2005, even on xp it's recommended anyhow. I personally don't see any gain in upgrading to windows vista either, it's too bad they're pushing it so hard. But hey, I run linux anyway... I don't see much in that petition though, I doubt they're going to look at it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users