Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Colored Rings wtf? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Stygs 

• Minigunner
  • Group: VIP Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

First of all: I really love the stuff from TSR that I have seen so far, but after looking at the latest screens I reeaallly have to ask:

Why are you using these ungodly ugly circles around stuff?!

Honestly, you have a beautiful, gritty, edgy and "realistic" looking art design and then proceed to throw it all away with colored circles? What is the point of that? It looks out of place and ruins the ambiance :(

Posted Image

I can see that the TW style HC might look ugly to you, but thats because the artists made the HC textures so incredible small that they became featureless blobs of colour.

Just take a look at the GDI Foxhole:

Posted Image

It is a perfect example of a good HC - it is not blurry, it keeps the basic structure of the texture under it and it blends perfectly into the object.
And it has the added bonus of being similiar to the way it was done in TS ;)

SO why not do it this way?

Regards,
Stygs

#2 User is offline   yggdrasil 

• Minigunner
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

The best response I could give you would probably be the one from Assassin himself on moddb.

Also why Housecolor rings? well look at our screenshots then go back and play some normal C&C3. Look at how housecolor painted onto the units just ruins there visual appeal completely. Housecolor painted on is also just a gaming convention used in RTS it has no role beyond that.

Our choice in Housecolor decals is one, we can keep GDI and Nod looking there cool realistic selves and maintaining there proper coloring despite what color they choose.
Two, it looks way better then painted on does.
Three, its also goes with the game world of 2030/story. The idea is its an augmented Reality interface. The Commander is sitting at a terminal with the HUD buildmenu, the Housecolor rings are overlayed by EVA or CABAL respectively onto the battlefield so you know who own's what.

From a personal point of view I actually really like the rings, although I will admit they look a tad strange in relation to aircraft still. We are still looking into changes we could do in relation to them since we get a reasonable amount of feedback about them. For instance we are currently experimenting with them only appearing on selection, changing the size and opacity of them etc.

Hopefully that's answered your question,
Yggdrasil out.

#3 User is offline   Stygs 

• Minigunner
  • Group: VIP Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

"Look at how housecolor painted onto the units just ruins there visual appeal completely."

I can see his point, but a) rings ruin it even more since they stand out like a sore thumb and b) if it is done like the GDI foxhole, it looks quite nice.

A augmented reality interface sounds like a nice idea, but you would need to display tons of informations about various stuff on screen to get that effect. I doubt that TW is capable of anything dynamic in that regard.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users