• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Patch Is out Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

View PostNiGhtPiSH, on Dec 26 2006, 07:07 PM, said:

in my humble opinion if you make a newer version of the mod the things that it should include must be like:

1. Better AI. Take as an example the AI of the Red alert 3 Generals TC even ripping it and modifying it for the units and buildings the mod has won't be a sin.
2. Tiberium - the new code Assassin made up for TSR.
3. New Skins and Damaged frames for the buildings. The
4. Maps - I presonally tried to make maps for me and they were pretty good for first timer, but I think that if releasing one of them will be a shame on the background of the awesome maps the whole community shows. Or enabling the maps in ZH to be played on, since the technology in TD is simillar with the one of Generals.

AIs actually already quite good, but a few bugs were preventing from it working anywhere near the level it should have, so that's not a problem.

Tiberium code's practically in the bag.

Skins and Damaged Frames are quite a resonable graphical improvement disregarding complete model remake, though I'll admit we still have to work on that.

And Maps, well, I'm doing some myself and improving current ones, back to my old C&C hobby before I started modding... :D as a little hint, one of the new maps is entitled 'Hell Valley', if you're familiar with that name you'll know what it will have.

Additionally the whole game's been rebalanced, code has been improved, and I'm adding in as many nostalgic C&C features as I can (blood & base structure staff for when a structure is sold or destroyed).

Other improvements are the ingame Menus (completely redone, a lot less Generals style menus, last ones are only multiplayer), sidebar graphics (which were previously distorted) and sidebar function (quick access buttons to primary selected buildings) and semi-controllable music track playing (previous, next, stop play, works only for singleplayer, online the host will only be able to control it).

#22 User is offline   NiGhtPiSH 

• Flame Trooper
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

Adding some more smoke and fire, renewing the sidebar and cameos won't hurt. And by the way the upgradabilty of the units like tanks and aircraft will be great. Adding the Apache to drop a Napalm bomb would be freakin good. Concider also the more flame tanks you make a firestorm /like the Dragon Tank/ also making the fire from the flamers to be like the original in ZH will look much better.

#23 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:19 AM

View PostNiGhtPiSH, on Dec 30 2006, 08:21 PM, said:

Adding some more smoke and fire, renewing the sidebar and cameos won't hurt.

Already done.

View PostNiGhtPiSH, on Dec 30 2006, 08:21 PM, said:

And by the way the upgradabilty of the units like tanks and aircraft will be great. Adding the Apache to drop a Napalm bomb would be freakin good.

I would agree with you that it would be nice to expand on the original C&C's gameplay, but I'd suspect that the most defining thing which makes a TD remake good is the nostalgia, and upgrades to the gameplay in the wrong places can ruin this, so our goal is first to remake the original C&C with the exact same gameplay (but in a much more detailed environment) and then after that release see where gameplay can be expanded without ruining the feel.

I'll be honest with you though, I don't think we'll do these gameplay upgrades until the C&C 3 version, but you can bet that we'll have a pretty professional version without such upgrades out before C&C 3.

#24 User is offline   0r30 

• Minigunner

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

View PostWaraddict, on Dec 26 2006, 05:57 AM, said:

It's probable we'll be poking our heads out of the ground once again during the hols, screenshots wouldn't convey the majority of the work done over the last while (mainly large balance, code, music and interface improvements) but we can arrange that.

Nice, I think this mod is really class, id just hate to see you lose possible dl's if users see the last post on the main a year ago... Were you guys on mdb? I would've voted but only realised in the phase two which you guys didn't get into. Anyway can't wait for the new patch/release keep up the good work!

And plz plz keep the nostalgia, even make two separate download versions, one the faithful remake and one the expanded version, to be honest the only thing that needs fixed from TibDawn was to increase the range of arty to make them useful, the napalm would destroy the feeling in my humble opinion

This post has been edited by 0r30: 02 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

#25 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

View Post0r30, on Jan 2 2007, 08:32 PM, said:

Nice, I think this mod is really class, id just hate to see you lose possible dl's if users see the last post on the main a year ago... Were you guys on mdb? I would've voted but only realised in the phase two which you guys didn't get into. Anyway can't wait for the new patch/release keep up the good work!

And plz plz keep the nostalgia, even make two separate download versions, one the faithful remake and one the expanded version, to be honest the only thing that needs fixed from TibDawn was to increase the range of arty to make them useful, the napalm would destroy the feeling in my humble opinion

Well unfortunately I'm already too busy to make sure things are flowing well community wise, so yeah, the forums have ended up practically dying, the moddb details haven't been touched and no news has been posted.

To be honest with you, I'm aiming for a decently complete mod instead, and my primary aim is to learn from it whilst gaining community approval would be second, by the time we'll be working on the C&C 3 version I'll have a hell of a lot more time and we will be able to do a mod that makes the current version of TFTW like a pile of puke (heheh, don't worry, the current version kicks ass).

Now the next version of TFTW won't really show the plan we have for a TD remake, but it will show it more than the previous ones, as I mentioned above, we are trying to keep things gameplay wise exactly like TD, BUT, we are expanding on the environment, why?

Well ask yourself the whole point of doing a remake in a 3D engine, its the environment! :D

If Westwood had an engine such as SAGE back when they did TD, you would have been seeing a lot more of the TD world (as shown in the FMVs) actually ingame, that's what we're going for, an extended TD environment that still FEELS like C&C even though it wasn't in the original, the next version of TFTW for instance will feature that freeky tiberium infested scene as shown in the 'hellvaly.vqa' (A good Mix extractor should help you find that). In the C&C 3 version we'll be going further, encorporating the villages and other scenes as shown in the videos.

After an environment extension, the next step we might consider would be to extend gameplay, but not directly in each of the factions, it would probably be more along the lines of tech buildings and special game mode maps.

Then, and only then, we will consider if we can alter the teams a bit to improve gameplay without harming the nostalgia.

I will warn you however, don't expect a 100% TD remake for the current ZH version, I tried as much as I could to get Construction Yard logic working, and to be honest I could have done it, but the AI couldn't work with it, so I comprimised, I've gone for something that's somewhere in between RA2 and Generals, a tabbed interface which can be used to select a primary selected barracks or warfactory from any location, or a dozer for quick access construction (dozers are limited to one, but will be free, will have a time cost though).

Obviously for C&C 3 we'll be able to replicate the original C&C much better.

#26 User is offline   NiGhtPiSH 

• Flame Trooper

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:48 AM

Making a remake is a hard thing no doubt. Can you give us something like Progress Report like the Dev blog of TSR or RA2: AR

#27 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:45 AM

View PostNiGhtPiSH, on Jan 4 2007, 12:48 PM, said:

Making a remake is a hard thing no doubt. Can you give us something like Progress Report like the Dev blog of TSR or RA2: AR

Technically the mod is finished, there's a set level of quality we want to achieve before its next release but it's not much to elaborate on, specifically when its abstract stuff like bug fixing and getting 'the feel' right, we want to make sure the mod's a lot more fluid this time round.

That's not to say we won't add a lot more at this point now, if we have time we will, but we can't put such additions on paper.

#28 User is offline   cplHicks359 

• Cyborg Commando

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

Right then, looks like its time for my usual once in a blue moon appearance... Considering C&C 3 is out in less than 2 months (30th March) and you said that the mod will be out before C&C 3, it would be rather nice to hear from ya and have an update...

Oh, and hey'all

#29 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

Heheh, I intended to have an update after Christmas which I obviously didn't carry out and I still cant promise anything on an update, although I do have good time to be working on the mod despite education and work it could be a little awkward to handle a properly done update at the moment.

I'll see what I can do, it will most likely be done when I finish my current map, seen as I used to be a mapper Im doing a few of my own maps this time round.

#30 User is offline   cplHicks359 

• Cyborg Commando

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

Well there hadn't been any posts for a good while so I thought it better somebody said something, and to give you a reminder of what you said, after all, you did say it would be out before C&C 3.

At any rate, not trying to rush you, im simply giving you some heads up that you need to check the clock, so to speak.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users