CnC Source Forums: Tesla Troopers in today's armies - CnC Source Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tesla Troopers in today's armies A possibility on making a tesla weapon Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   -= Nameme99 =- 

• CnC-Source Staff
  • View gallery
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

yes I know, bu t I mean the voltage of a tesla bolt could disable the tank's electronics and kill the crew on the inside, perhaps even set off the munitions.

#12 User is offline   sledge roadhouse 

• This is my Real Face
  • Group: VIP Member

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

I agree to that.

#13 User is offline   El_Greco 

• Knight of the Order of the Grand Spatula
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:28 AM

An EMP is like a moving short curcit (?) wheras a tesla bolt is pure electricity

This post has been edited by PhantomX: 03 October 2006 - 06:29 AM

#14 User is offline   -= Nameme99 =- 

• CnC-Source Staff
  • View gallery
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

EMP is a electric wave that disables electronics...

#15 User is offline   El_Greco 

• Knight of the Order of the Grand Spatula

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

Yes

#16 User is offline   Firnagzen 

• Minigunner

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

SCIENCE RANT AHEAD!

[rant]

OK. Granted, people are easy to kill with electrcity, but you can't kill a person inside a tank with electricity. Well, nothing short of a direct lightning bolt, which is millions of volts and amperes anyway.

The problem is that the voltage will run along the outside of the tank due to a phenomenon known as the skin effect. That is, as you approach higher voltages and current (millions of watts), the power flows along the surface and only the surface of the conductor! Go check out a power station if you know someone who works there, ask to see the really big cables. Guess what? They're all HOLLOW! That's because the core will NOT carry any current!

So guess what? Most tanks are plated with metal on the outside! The current won't even go near the insides! Granted, it may fry the electronics and someone who's touching them. But then, it might well not, if the electonics happen to be isolated from the armor plating!

And lightning can destroy a tank NOT because of the electricity, but because of the sheer heat caused by it. The tank, basically, becomes a big pressure cooker.

Moreover, EMPs are really hard to generate. Currently, nothing short of an artifical lightning bolt generates a mildly useful EMPulse and that has only a few metre's range (say 10) and guess how big the facility is? It's practically the size of a mediumish amusement park!

[/rant]

Sorry, but I hate it when people misunderstand science concepts. ANyways, it boils down to: No, sorry. Probably not very useful.

Anyways, how much power could you expect to get from such a small power source? Not a lot, and believe me, it takes a LOT to do anything useful other than look cool.

And really. Your idea can only about double the range of a electronic weapon. When it takes a unit about 2 metres tall to generate a simple 1 meter spark which can just give you a painful deep burn but can't kill. (Consider this, 20000 volts gives a 2 inch spark.)

This post has been edited by Firnagzen: 24 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

#17 User is offline   sanwitch 

• Civilian
  • Group: Registered

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hey, me first post here. ^_^

I would have thought that a wepon like this would be strong, but totally inacurate when fired... though I could totally be wrong!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users