• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

C&C World Builder Tips Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   sgtmay 

• Jack of all trades master of none
  • Group: VIP Member

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:10 PM

to create a top down view of your map hit [ctrl]+F to toggle top down view mode then zoom out untill you can see the entire map then screen shot it.

Paste the screen shot into your favorite image editor and crop the screen shot so that it contains the whole map.
I turn on show borders so that i can crop the map evenly by using the orange line around the border.

After cropping the image to the proper size you will need to resize the image to 256X256 and flip the image upside down.
Now save the texture as .tga format in the same folder as your map but name it "your map name_art"
All radar map images have the _art appended to the end of the map name.

Here's an example map(my first one) for anyone who wants to take a closer look.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Ihm 

• Not quite so dead...
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Just thought I'd start compiling a list of basic tips for C&C 3 to help with making your maps, simple things that people dont know and will help you going in the right direction.

Tiberium Fields
This is pretty simple to do once you know how, if you don't know how though, you will probably be stumped for a while. First, to create a tib field, place a tiberiumfield object, these can be found under Neutral/MISC_NATURAL. Next, go on the tiles editor, then visibility, then set it to not visible, and where the centre of the tiberium field object is, place these tiles, this will allow the tiberium field to show through. Simple eh? Nothing to do with changing the height :D

Giving stuff to a player
It is possible to have units/structures etc already belonging to a player on a skirmish/multiplayer map, simply by giving the object to the player called PLAYER_1, PLAYER_2, etc, there are only 4 players created when you add skirmish players, but I assume (Not yet tested) that you can add the other 4 players if you wish.

If you have any other useful tips, please post them and they will be added to the list.

#3 User is offline   R315r4z0r 

• Professional Reject

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

OH, I got some things I'd like to share!

1. When you are ready to test a map, before you do:
Go to "Edit" Then go down to "Edit Map Settings." When the window pops up, notice the two boxes that show the Camera "Minimum/Maximum"

Change the Minimum amount to 175, and the maximum to 400. Those are the standards for the game, or so I have been told. If you do not change these, then your camera view will be in very close to the ground and it will be hard to play.

Think Generals.

2. While on the subject of the "Edit Map Settings" menu, you may also want to use this screen to set the settings up for your map.
In the drop down bar, select if it is a Blue, Yellow, or Red zone. Then select the respective music for that zone.

ALSO BY NO MEANS CHECK THE BOX "Is multiplayer map"

If you check this box, the map, although may be saved in the correct directory, will not show up in the in game maps list. I don't know why, but it works when you don't check this box. So just don't check the box.

#4 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

*To open the official maps that ship with the game:

First you'll need to extract them from the .big files like with C&C Generals/Zero Hour.
So grab a .big editor such as OS Big Editor from Project Perfect Mod.

The multiplayer maps are installed in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\C&C3\MP\1.0\MPMaps.big by default.
If you have the Kane Edition the extra maps are located in C:Program Files\Electronic Arts\C&C3\Kane\1.0\KaneMaps.big

Now, the single player Campaign maps are located in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\C&C3\SP\1.0\SPMaps but until the mod SDK is out and the proper scripting limits are unlocked you can only view these and not play them as with custom SP maps, but you can still get a head start on making the terrain for your own single player maps.

So, using your .big editor, extract the files to C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Application Data\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\Maps
This is a hidden folder so make sure you have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" turned on.
Or "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\Maps" for Windows Vista.

Just like with Generals and Zero Hour, each map file must go inside a folder that has the same name as itself. So you would place "MyMap.map" inside the folder "Application Data\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\Maps\MyMap"

*You can find scripts for working KOTH and CTF gametypes on the official boards HERE. I have yet to try these out.

*For a proper minimap that isn't all dark, first you must go to the view tab and disable objects and waypoints and fog and all that other stuff that gets in the way.

Next hit Ctrl+F to go to the top-down view of the map. If it isn't enabled already, hit Ctrl+A to show all of the map. Then zoom out until you can see all of the map.

Hit the PrtScrn (PrintScreen) button (near the F12 key) and then open up a program that can save .tga (Targa) files such as Photoshop and hit Ctrl+V to paste the screenshot.

Now crop the image and reduce the size to a 128 or 256 pixel square.

Save as a 24-bit .tga in the same folder as your map with the same name as your map and add _art before the file extension. So "MyMap.map" would have a minimap name of "MyMap_art.tga"

Also, you might need to save your minimap in "C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Application Data\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\MapPreviews" and give it a name of "data_maps_internal_YOURMAPNAME_YOURMAPNAME.tga"
(in both cases, save over the black .tga of your map that might already be there)

*For tips about the Post Process effects (helps for Red Zone Maps), check out This thread at Derelict Studios.

(Funny how EA didn't follow their own Do's & Don'ts presented in the mapping manual.)

#5 User is offline   Ihm 

• Not quite so dead...

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Heres something BOB pointed out in a news post.

When running World Builder, if it slows down your pc, go on task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and turn the process priority down to "below normal", this wont hurt the performance of World builder, and should allow other apps to run better.

#6 User is offline   R315r4z0r 

• Professional Reject

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

Might BOB! forgot to point out, sgtmay did however, that when making the minimap, before saving it as a "..._art.tga" file, you need to flip (not rotate) the image upside down!

For an odd reason, the minimap is displayed upside down in the game. So just flip it, and then save it.

#7 User is offline   Krit 

• Elegant Staff Member
  • Group: Network Moderator

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:12 AM

Gah! WB is getting on my nerves. A problem I'm having over here that is preventing me from making a map and still persists even after a reinstall is the fact that WB DOESN'T LOAD ANY SAVED MAPS. While the title of the window changes to the map name, the map seen on the GUI is still the one I had before I opened any map...

#8 User is offline   Ihm 

• Not quite so dead...

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:39 AM

That usually means the maps fucked :/ Thats what happens if you try and load a CNC 3 map in ZH WB.

#9 User is offline   Krit 

• Elegant Staff Member
  • Group: Network Moderator

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

Nevermind... I found the problem. Its the fact that my game's the Thai version; the Thai folder names messes up different program's ability to open files in the folders. This is also a problem that is found in ACDSee...

#10 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:36 AM

Hawk10314 has made a very good map texturing tutorial over here. I've been mapping on Sage since Generals came out and I gotta say, this is pretty good, especially for those who might not have experience.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users