CnC Source Forums: What do you think a 3D remake of TD should include? - CnC Source Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you think a 3D remake of TD should include? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

TFTW is a 3D remake of the original C&C, we all know that, but what I'm wondering is, what do you feel is the point in doing one?

Don't worry, I haven't lost my faith in the project, its far from it, all I'm wondering is the gamer's opinion on this.

Just to clarify why I'm asking this, some have suggested in the past to limit the camera and pitch it downwards, limit building placement angles and basically do anything else that makes the mod look more like its 2D equivelent, the question is then, why bother? why not just play the original?

So clearly there has to be something new that TFTW offers that TD doesn't, and quite obviously at a minimum the difference should be the graphics and possibly other game mechanics which only make the gameplay more efficient.

Any further thoughts on what TFTW should offer differently as apposed to TD, keep in mind that of course TFTW still has to BE a newer representation of TD otherwise there's no point in doing it at all, its difficult to find a medium so feel free to post anything that you think is valid.

#2 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

I'm against limiting the camera and building placement angles.

Now if you get the MCV logic to work, I am in favor of limiting the distance you can build between buildings, but increase it to a further distance than TD.

TD doesn't have skirmish so that's an immediate bonus for TFTW.

#3 User is offline   gibbo101 

• Minigunner
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

Mighty BOB is right, skirmish for TFTW instantly makes it better.

A campaign with better AI would be great also.

#4 User is offline   Krit 

• Elegant Staff Member
  • Group: Network Moderator

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:24 AM

View PostMighty BOB!, on Aug 16 2006, 02:59 AM, said:

Bingo

#5 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

View PostMighty BOB!, on Aug 15 2006, 08:59 PM, said:

I'm against limiting the camera and building placement angles.

Now if you get the MCV logic to work, I am in favor of limiting the distance you can build between buildings, but increase it to a further distance than TD.

Yes, I would agree concurrently with your view.

One thing I'd like to do though is to delve into the TD world more, we all know normal cities exist etc in the TD world, however how can they be done in such a way that it feels like a compliment to the normal TD ingame theme? One thing I think we can do for now is use the FMVs to determine a particular TD slant to what's outside the ingame world, for instance some of the town FMVs can help determine a design for more developed town versions of the ingame equivelents, in addition to them of course.

Im reluctant on revealing too much more on what we're working on at the moment, but let me just say that a certain fmv entitled hellvaly.vqa inspired me for one of the new TFTW maps.

#6 User is offline   Ihm 

• Not quite so dead...

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

If no body can get what map he is making from that hint then you need shooting...

Anyways, something I always loved on TD was watching that FMV of the MCV deploying, loved that, not much relevance to anything, but hey >_<

#7 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

View PostIHM, on Aug 17 2006, 01:12 AM, said:

If no body can get what map he is making from that hint then you need shooting...

Anyways, something I always loved on TD was watching that FMV of the MCV deploying, loved that, not much relevance to anything, but hey >_<

You know, its the little things that make a difference, Im considering using as much FMV sound effects as possible in game, such as the weird tiberium and blossom tree sounds to maybe even the sounds the MCV makes when it deploys in the FMV you referred to.

#8 User is offline   TheNuker0 

• Technician
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

View PostWaraddict, on Aug 15 2006, 07:29 PM, said:

TFTW is a 3D remake of the original C&C, we all know that, but what I'm wondering is, what do you feel is the point in doing one?

Don't worry, I haven't lost my faith in the project, its far from it, all I'm wondering is the gamer's opinion on this.

Just to clarify why I'm asking this, some have suggested in the past to limit the camera and pitch it downwards, limit building placement angles and basically do anything else that makes the mod look more like its 2D equivelent, the question is then, why bother? why not just play the original?

So clearly there has to be something new that TFTW offers that TD doesn't, and quite obviously at a minimum the difference should be the graphics and possibly other game mechanics which only make the gameplay more efficient.

Any further thoughts on what TFTW should offer differently as apposed to TD, keep in mind that of course TFTW still has to BE a newer representation of TD otherwise there's no point in doing it at all, its difficult to find a medium so feel free to post anything that you think is valid.

First of all, I'm new here, so I may not know everything about this mod; anyway, I played it,and I think it's awesome and I'm glad you're working at a new version. Second, English is not my native language (I'm Italien) so please excuse my if I make some errors.

I think that the game should keep TD feeling and 'spirit' more than being a simple 'what if westwood had this engine in 1995' and I consider the "RedAlert Regeneration" mod a good example of this approach (with RA, of course).

-So, tanks and units should be based more on the ingame sprites than on FMVs, or, even better, be a mix of the two designs. (I mean, I've seen both the Regen heavy tank model (based on the sprite) and the RenAlert one (based on the FMVs) and the Regen one feels way more RA like.

-I'm completely against limitations to the camera. Ignoring one of the biggest advantages of the Sage engine would make no sense. I'm also against removing the garrison system.

-I'm for a limited bulding range, tough I'd like it to be larger than in TD

-I'm all for the conyard/sidebar system (I've read somewhere that both TS Reborn and C&C: All Stars teams have managed to create a fully functional conyard/sidebar code like in the original games.

Things I think the mod needs:

-More balance
-A better AI
-Better code tiberium
-A lighter skin for GDI units

I've read you're already working on those points, and I'm happy with it.

This post has been edited by TheNuker0: 27 August 2006 - 12:12 AM

#9 User is offline   skulking_ferrit 

• Mod leader

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:32 AM

As far as graphics go when I started this mod I made the decision to base all graphics on FMV/renders, and I don't see that changing any time soon. As far as the conyard build goes we did it first, or more correctly war addict did it, however it has not been fully implamented as the AI does not react well to it so untill the AI is accepting it we won't include it. AI in general is hard to get right and while it has been tweaked I'm not sure if it's play style has been alterd drastically.

#10 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:56 AM

View PostTheNuker0, on Aug 27 2006, 08:09 AM, said:

-So, tanks and units should be based more on the ingame sprites than on FMVs, or, even better, be a mix of the two designs. (I mean, I've seen both the Regen heavy tank model (based on the sprite) and the Renalert one (based on the FMVs) and the Regen one feels way more RA like.

This a very valid point, I tend to look over the models and see if a good mix between the two designs can be made. Frankly though, the ingame sprite graphics of TD aren't enough to create full proper 3D models, so we have to look more towards the FMVs. But I believe though, the sprite graphics give a good hint on unit model layouts that would bring a sense of the old game back.

As regards to the MCV code, its going to be a gradual push towards it, the next public version may stick with the dozer method but it will be a single dozer which will be accessible from anywhere through the sidebar. The Dozer will be destroyable but will automattically respawn at a time cost.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users