• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Red Alert 3 Mod SDK Cometh this week Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 AM

Over on the official C&C website Apoc has posted up an interview with Justin Moe about the new Mod SDK for RA3. It has a new GUI interface that makes it more user-friendly for newbies who might not be able to navigate the command prompt.

Due to a technical limitation of the Worldbuilder it cannot load the patch data for mods like the C&C3 Worldbuilder could which means anyone who wants to make maps specifically with a mod's assets will have to download a new 600MB version of the Worldbuilder. Again, the new Worldbuilder is only needed if you want to map specifically with mod assets; otherwise, continue as usual.

The SDK should be out later this week is now out. It does not work with Uprising.

#2 User is offline   Golan 

• funky spacebeat opposition
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

It's just been released.

#3 User is offline   Assassin 

• Black Hand Assassin
  • View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

So any chance us modders can adapt any of the nice new tools from RA3 to C&C3?

*prolly not too likely given the changes to the Engine

Thou it wouldnt kill EA to update the C&C3 SDK, they have all the framework in place with this RA3 SDK as both games run a very similair SAGE engine.

I suppose they want to make it easier for ppl to mod, thou C&C3 was even easier then Zero Hour to mod in alot of ways espically in terms of Error Tracking, and XML gave alot of advantages like Inheritance. What EA really needs is better documentation and tutorials, more support from the EA Team in general.

But its nice to see Mod tools taken little more seriously, but I think it'll be a good long while before we see any RTS Game being support for modding in a way like Unreal is supported.

#4 User is offline   Golan 

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

Asuka aka Lauren aka UnrealElly3 aka [...] has already begun tweaking the new GUI, judging by the settings it already supports TW now but I haven't been able to ask him directly.
See this thread @ PPM.

#5 User is offline   lazy6pyro 

• Flame Trooper

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

So apparently EA didnt include any of the shaders for 3DS (I don't know, as I only have Uprising installed now), but doesn't that basically mean that there are going to be no new models?

#6 User is offline   Golan 

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

Seeing that the W3X are pretty much just xml files, you can export the models with the TW plugins and then manually change the shaders to the RA3 ones.

#7 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

That's still a ridiculous oversight.

#8 User is offline   Golan 

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

Let's just say that the RA3 SDK gave me more than just one good laugh, but as I don't even have RA3 it doesn't really bug me.

Anyways, about the GUI:
Ju-Jin is making good progress on expanding its functionality, however the possibilities are limited. Bibber thinks that it'd be easier to just redo it entirely when wishing to expand it, seeing that it really doesn't do much more than adding a handful of switches and a more readable output window to the TW bat functionality I have to agree with him.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users