CnC Source Forums: What do you think a 3D remake of TD should include? - CnC Source Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you think a 3D remake of TD should include? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   TheNuker0 

• Technician
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:47 AM

View PostWaraddict, on Aug 28 2006, 01:55 PM, said:

This a very valid point, I tend to look over the models and see if a good mix between the two designs can be made. Frankly though, the ingame sprite graphics of TD aren't enough to create full proper 3D models, so we have to look more towards the FMVs. But I believe though, the sprite graphics give a good hint on unit model layouts that would bring a sense of the old game back.

As regards to the MCV code, its going to be a gradual push towards it, the next public version may stick with the dozer method but it will be a single dozer which will be accessible from anywhere through the sidebar. The Dozer will be destroyable but will automattically respawn at a time cost.

I had seen some new models for the medium and light tank before the site went down. I really liked them, more than their ingame counterparts.

I'm glad you're working on the MCV code. I can't wait for it.

#12 User is offline   skulking_ferrit 

• Mod leader
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

Those models and skins are ancient, most are over a year old, some are nearly 2, however once I get other stuff done I'll go over TFTW and give it some new models and skins, though to be honest the models are pretty good it's just the skins that need work.

#13 User is offline   staude 

• Chem Warrior

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

For the models, you could try to look into some of the renegade beta models... (if you were to base it on the 2d sprites) since things like the light tank really looks like THE light tank from tib. dawn. (the sprite one)
just an idea, although I don't know if it would enchance the game

I think that noone can really say what the mod still needs since noone has tried the version as of how it is now (exept the developers?)

However from the old version I would say that the AI needs to be adjusted, such a map as the one in the underground(cave?) (can't remember its name) is really unrealistic since there are planes dropping bombs on your base >_>(this is just a minor glitch though ?!)
hmmm
and its way faster to get your entire base in TFTW than in TD, which makes it feel smaller .. for some reason..

I dunno just my opinions

#14 User is offline   marcjs 

• Commander Lazarus
  • Group: Network Moderator

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:51 AM

never got round to fixing that cave map was going to be able to cause cave in and so forth

#15 User is offline   cplHicks359 

• Cyborg Commando

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hello again people, its been a good long while since I posted here last... Im making my usual rare drop in to see how things are goin with the mod, and if there's been any progress since the last time I was here which was what, half to a full year? o_O

PS. Woot, it took me long enough to find the site again. ^_^

#16 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

Welcome back, what's new? well, to put it briefly...

- New balance
- New interface (its sort of like the RA2 one in function, screenies will come soon)
- New terrain
- Selectable music (for skirmish and singleplayer, in multiplayer only the host controls the music, can't do better then that I'm afraid).
- In addition, the mod will be of higher quality when its next released, all ends of the mod are being reassessed, including the 'feel' of the game.
- And no, the fact that C&C 3 will be coming out does not discourage the development of TFTW for us, we intend to finish it and will, if we constantly switched to later engines we'd never get a mod done.
- Lastly, the second last point does not mean we won't be doing a C&C 3 version, on the contrary we're looking forward to doing one as C&C 3 supports the code we need for TFTW better, but mark my words that you'll get the best possible C&C mod on the Generals engine before that.

#17 User is offline   cplHicks359 

• Cyborg Commando

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

don't sound like your doing a bad job at all with it, but the two big questions remain:

1. Is the lag sorted atlast?

2. Whens it gonna be released?

#18 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

View PostcplHicks359, on Sep 11 2006, 09:28 PM, said:

don't sound like your doing a bad job at all with it, but the two big questions remain:

1. Is the lag sorted atlast?

2. Whens it gonna be released?

The lag is partly due to the AI and the current tiberium code, both will be fixed before the next release, we're intending not to leave ANY glitches in the next version, it will almost feel like another mod, that said, expect to wait a while, but not as long as it would take for C&C 3 to be released.

#19 User is offline   cplHicks359 

• Cyborg Commando

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

Alright, cheers for the update.

by the way, installed the latest *public* version of the mod and needless to say it was laggy... Fortunately I found the thread which had the "optimised" maps (in other words had the tiberium changed for supply piles) which resulted in a pleasant lag free (ish) game.

Even now if you were to shift the lag aside it would still be a bloody great mod. ^_^

#20 User is offline   TheNuker0 

• Technician

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

Also, since you're working on the code, in my opinion a larger field of view would really feel more C&C like.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users