• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Engine Possibilities Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   CommandoSR 

• Rambo
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:34 PM

icedog90, on Nov 22 2004, 04:29 AM, said:

Any idea when the full SDK is available?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a little update: The SDK will be available on next week, so my estimates for Dec 1st were quite close.

#12 User is offline   crix2k 

• Technician
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:13 PM

as mentioned before, in half-life 2 you can pick up objects by pressing "E" and set them down by pressing "E" again, or left click to toss them. this could be implemented to create very interesting gameplay. For example, one vehicle on every team could have a small supply trunk in it; lets say the GDI and Nod APCs have a small door on the side that actually opens to store things. maybe you could have medkits or standard issue rifles spawn every 2 minutes in the barracks. then you could load up supplies into the vehicle and deliver them to snipers out on the field, or anyone in need of reinforcements. thats just a basic idea though.

another cool thing about half life 2 is the in game viewable cameras. in single player, there are security cameras that you can use terminals to view and see certain parts of the building. then if you press "E" on the security monitor, it switches to another camera. I think this would be awesome if implemented somehow into the mod. you could make the Construction yard a more important structure. If it had the ability to slowly repair buildings AND a security room with a wall of monitors showing cameras from different buildings, then it would truely be as important as it was in the RTS c&c games. you could even go as far as making the cameras destroyable and repairable.

im not too sure on how it would work, but it would be cool to see realtime growing tiberium and veinholes. in half-life 2 singleplayer the terrain is moveable, so this might in someway be possible. invision a refinery being destroyed, and as a result the tiberium grows all the way up to the base. also the ability of changing terrain can be used for creating craters from explosions. I know if the terrain was totally destroyable, then noobs would dig into the enemy base with rocket launchers. it would be best to make the terrain on the maps only be able to go down to a certain depth; maybe a foot or two, and then make it slowly move back up to its original height.

these are just some of the types of details that would be neat to add to the uniqueness and wow factor of the mod.

I was also wondering if you will be planning to have civilian weapons in the mod? it would be a cool thing to add lying around in some of the multiplayer maps to pick up. maybe like a few different types of pistols, a shotgun, and a 22 guage rifle.

I was alos wondering if 1st person gameplay will be an alternate option. sometimes in 3rd person the aiming reticle isn't always where it says it is. being like this, it won't let you shoot through smmall gaps/holes, and make it difficult to hit someone when just over a hill. I think it would be a good idea to make it optional like renegade did, but thats just my opinion.

will thee be any purchase terminals ingame? or will you be using a different approach to acquiring weapons, such as a gunlocker?

sorry for the long post, I'm just a bit curious ...
excelent mod, keep up the good work! :thumb:

#13 User is offline   Godwin 

• Flame Trooper

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:14 PM

I think what you should try to do is use a class system modelled after the Battlefield games, I think it's more realistic than purchasing things, then you could change your kit from an armory type building perhaps, I don't think there should be an economy in the game?

I dunno, anything's possible really, look at what kinds of mods HL1 brought us, from the simple CS to the innovative NS

#14 User is offline   CommandoSR 

• Rambo

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:51 AM

Godwin, on Dec 16 2004, 07:14 AM, said:

I think what you should try to do is use a class system modelled after the Battlefield games, I think it's more realistic than purchasing things, then you could change your kit from an armory type building perhaps, I don't think there should be an economy in the game?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It wouldn't work..
No resource management=No Tiberium=No Tiberian Dawn=No Commando

#15 User is offline   aces_high 

• Undead Bogey
  • Group: VIP Member

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:54 AM

Right, your trying to incorporate RTS elements correct? With your commander mode and all.

#16 User is offline   CommandoSR 

• Rambo

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:41 PM

Yes. I'm working on the details.

#17 User is offline   crix2k 

• Technician

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:58 PM

will you be adding the ability to pick up guns from dead people? if you make it so that a player can have one of every gun, then some players will just hog all the guns. maybe make it similar to CS and halo, where you can have a certain amount of pistols and like 2 rifles. call of duty does this, it helps balance some things out

#18 User is offline   Assassin 

• Black Hand Assassin
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:36 AM

Realistically also a person can only carry so many guns.

I reckon 2-3 guns carried at once max. Makes ppl choose there arsonal carefully and think bout what there doing. Also stops em carrying around every single weapon as mentioned.

#19 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:39 AM

I think the layout should be...

1 Pistol
2 SubMachineGuns/Rifles
1 Special Equipment (Rocket Launcher, C4, Med Kit, extra ammo etc.)
5 Grenades

Now this is just the max a person can carry, that is they won't start off with all that stuff, but if they find it, that's how much they can carry.

by the way, extra ammo aswell as being extra bullets for any of the guns, can be an extra 5 grenades if you want it, that said 5 grenades shoudl be represented by a sort of pack which takes up that slot until its finished off.

#20 User is offline   Kahgan 

• Chem Warrior

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:55 AM

one thing I hate about most first person shooters is that when you kill a guy you can only pick up the certain gun he was using at that point, and not those he had in his inventory...could you please make it possible to loot corpses? :D
oh, and it'd be really cool if dead bodies don't disapear after a while, it's unrealistic and stupid in my opinion.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users