• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Engine Possibilities Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:46 PM

In relation to my amazement of the HL2 engine, some thoughts came up.

Selectable Music - well if possible. it explains itself, just like it was in C&C

Growing Tiberium - probably not much use in an FPS, but if it can be done in a suitable way why not?

High Object Interaction - Not really C&C related at all, its just that I love the picking up ability in HL2, I would like to see this utilised more in Commando, in terms of being able to load supply trucks with ammo, health and such.

since these ideas aren't too exciting, lets hear other ideas for taking advantage of the HL2 engine.

#2 User is offline   CommandoSR 

• Rambo
  • Group: Network Mod Staff

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:36 PM

Music Selector - Well, as Valve said it.. "Easy to mod in".. then it should be possible. Definite yes.
Tiberium - Yes. If it can spread, it should able to be depleted as well. More strategy. Go take a risky route near enemy base or go to nearly unexistant tiberium field that is just a walk away?
Object interaction - Yes. What I want is to have multiple uses for a single thing. See that pile of sandbags there? Pick up each of them to make your own sandbag bunker.

#3 User is offline   Colm (Waraddict) 

• Leader of Tiberian Dawn: Coding Manager, TFTW Team leader
  • Group: Network Leader

Posted 20 November 2004 - 04:39 PM

CommandoSR, on Nov 20 2004, 09:36 PM, said:

Music Selector - Well, as Valve said it.. "Easy to mod in".. then it should be possible. Definite yes.
Tiberium - Yes. If it can spread, it should able to be depleted as well. More strategy. Go take a risky route near enemy base or go to nearly unexistant tiberium field that is just a walk away?
Object interaction - Yes. What I want is to have multiple uses for a single thing. See that pile of sandbags there? Pick up each of them to make your own sandbag bunker.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In relation to the object interaction thing, Im wondering as a interesting feature, would it be possible to encorporate 'container' objects which you can pop anything you like into, close then pick it up and possibly through another key lodge it in your inventory to be accessed like a weapon? essentially this could be a 'back-pack'

On another note, I heard about this commander mode thing, great idea, as a side-note I was thinking maybe this is how Harvesters could be managed, not through ground players and not 100% reliable on AI but similar to the way they were in C&C, AI does the job but they can be ordered to do anything the commander says so, probably same could go for MCVs if you ever intend going THAT far.

#4 User is offline   CommandoSR 

• Rambo

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:17 PM

1. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be possible.

2. Might experiment with that later.

#5 User is offline   icedog90 

• Minigunner
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:29 PM

Any idea when the full SDK is available?

#6 User is offline   CommandoSR 

• Rambo

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:34 AM

Perhaps December 1st.

I have been messing around in HL2 and I noticed the following:
Passing objects having Doppler effect applied on them - meaning that you when first hear it, it's high-pitched and as it passes by, the pitch goes lower.
(http://archive.ncsa....ma/doppler.html )
Helicopters cause wakes appear when hovering over water.

#7 User is offline   icedog90 

• Minigunner

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:02 PM

Hehe, EVERYTHING is dynamic.

#8 User is offline   Deafwasp 

• The Pariah
  • Group: VIP Member

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:52 PM

You guys should be very happy with the tiberium and tiberium Fauna and Flora I model up. I am practicing a little bit and exparamenting in Max. I am confident I can get good looking viceroids for the game.

#9 User is offline   CommandoSR 

• Rambo

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:39 AM

*dies in middle of a Tiberium field next to a Blossom Tree, mutates into a visceroid and gets eaten by a Tiberium Veinhole*

#10 User is offline   wadprime 

• Chem Warrior

Posted 25 November 2004 - 08:46 AM

Very interesting, I hope all of these get implemented somewhere down the line.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users