CnC Source Forums: Blog #19 | Necromancy? Not Quite - CnC Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blog #19 | Necromancy? Not Quite Just In Time For Halloween...

#1 User is offline   General Aurum 

• Miles Invictus
  • Group: Public Relations

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

--- Necromancy? Not Quite ---

--- Just In Time For Halloween... ---

The house across the street was burning. He could feel the heat from it, and could hear the screams emanating from within. He could see the black-clad figures surrounding it, pouring more fire into the melted windows.

He watched helplessly, his rifle lying on the floor next to him in a pile of spent brass. His last pistol mag was already half-empty. He contemplated the remaining rounds, and what would be the best way of using them.

He slunk back against the wall, wincing as he did so. He’d taken a hit to the lower back as he’d rushed into this place; what was apparently someone’s bedroom. He could feel the blood soaking into his fatigues. He wondered why he wasn’t going into shock yet. Maybe he was, and just didn’t realize it.

It was only a matter of time, now. Just a matter of time until the men in the terrifying black masks outside came for him. That had been a certainty ever since his platoon’s armor support had been blown to shreds in the opening stages of the assault.

He wished he had a radio. Maybe then he could call for air support, or at least have someone to give his last testament to. But no, his squad’s radio operator had been the first one hit. They’d left his lower body lying in the filthy streets; where his head, arms, and chest were, they didn’t know.

He realized that the screaming had stopped outside. There was a horrid silence to the streets now, perforated only by the snaps of gunfire in the distance. He could still hear the roar of the flames, and now there were harsh voices shouting to each other; it sounded like one was laughing in triumph.

With a shuddering breath, he thought of his family. He wondered if they’d ever know what had happened to him, whether they’d even have a body to bury. He wondered if anyone would really know, would even care. He wondered if he’d be remembered as a coward.

There was a commotion downstairs; the slamming of a door, the scraping of boots on the stone floors. There was more shouting, and the sound of footsteps on the stairs. With a shaking hand, he raised his pistol, and again contemplated the best use of those few remaining rounds.

War is perhaps the most frightful of horrors a person can experience, and thus it seems odd that there exist few works dealing with the existential terror of it. Instead, most horror films focus on monstrous serial killers or strange carnivorous monstrosities. This being the end of October, I felt it fitting to bring home the terror of the world of C&C. After all, a good scare is always fun, as it makes whatever follows twice as enjoyable.

That said, I welcome everyone to the next chapter of the Tiberian Dawn blog saga. Yes, it seems fitting that during a time of year usually reserved for strange, inexplicable happenings, Tiberian Dawn would at last return—not from the grave, mind you, and certainly not shuffling aimlessly and moaning for brains. Indeed, we return with laden arms; we’ve got plenty to show you in the way of updates. So, open up your trick-or-treat bags and prepare for the goodies, children, let’s get this party started!

[cue ominous burst of lightning and thunder]

--- NEWS ---

First, a short bit of explanation over why it’s taken so long for an update. We’ve all been incredibly busy with real-life concerns, proving once again that there is no monster more hideously terrifying than the dread beast Ar-Ell. Ric has been working his job as a web designer, developing his myriad skills. Duuude has likewise been working hard at his own job. Nyerguds has been nudging us back into activity all summer, in-between working on his own mod projects. And as for me, I've been working various jobs for the government, including enlistment in the National Guard.

But anyway, enough about us. Let's get to what you've been waiting expectantly for.

--- UPDATES ---

Yes, on to the delicious sweetness that you all have been craving. Let’s take a look at what exactly is new with the mod. Take your pick and click the images below to view the updates on each of these newly-rendered structures. Oh, and as you’re browsing these delectable treats, remember that you cannot, in fact, eat them. The best you could hope for is licking your monitor, and you’re going to get funny looks if you try that.

Posted Image

First up, we’ve got the Helipad, which sates the ever-growing hunger of your air forces with its crew of candy-elves. They also make missiles to strap onto your planes, but I’m not sure how that ties into the metaphor.

Posted Image

Next, we have the Refinery, filled to the brim with luscious green goodness. You’ll find that this structure comes in two tasty varieties: the caramel-colored GDI version above…

Posted Image

…And the succulent red Nod version, which is probably strawberry-flavored. Or watermelon, what with the green filling in back. Maybe lime and cherry?

Posted Image

Anyway, moving on, we’ve got the Repair Bay, which is absolutely essential to maintaining your armored vehicles as they suffer the slings and arrows of war. With more candy elves lurking just beneath its metal exterior, you’ll find your tanks up and running (over enemy infantry) again in no time.

Posted Image

And to round out this little banquet, we've got a structure every C&C fan knows and loves: the Hand of Nod. Look at that thing. If there was ever a door I'd ring for trick-or-treating, it'd be that one, am I right?

--- END NOTES ---

Well, it’s been a short and sweet return to form, and I hope you all enjoyed it. We’ll continue working hard on the mod, and will continue to keep you posted on our progress as well as we can. And don’t worry. You won’t have to deal with the horror of our absence for as long again.

In closing, I again encourage everyone reading to sign up here at CNC Source and give us some feedback and support. We’re getting close to a release now, and I’d hate to see the community’s faith in us waver.

-General Aurum
Public Relations
Tiberian Dawn

#2 User is offline   Nyerguds 

• C&C1/RA1 Mod Maker

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

View PostGeneral Aurum, on 30 October 2010 - 02:31 PM, said:

First up, we’ve got the Helipad, which sates the ever-growing hunger of your air forces with its crew of candy-elves. They also make missiles to strap onto your planes, but I’m not sure how that ties into the metaphor.

Feeding the hungry aircraft their candy of sweet, sweet revenge?

Bah, at least I tried :P

#3 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

A heartfelt welcome back!

#4 User is offline   PUOjACKz 

• Flame Trooper

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:35 AM

Sorry dudes, any news about the remake of the Obelisk of light? Because someone raised doubts about its design long time ago (it was not so much slim and high).

#5 User is offline   Nyerguds 

• C&C1/RA1 Mod Maker

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Ah, come on... we release some new assets, and you start complaining about not seeing an update on an old one? Just tell us what you think about the ones we released now, dammit :P

As for the Obelisk, it's on the way... the new model is done (and looking great), but the texturing hasn't been completely finished yet, so yeah, you'll need a bit more patience for that one ;)

#6 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

View PostNyerguds, on 01 November 2010 - 01:30 PM, said:

Ah, come on... we release some new assets, and you start complaining about not seeing an update on an old one? Just tell us what you think about the ones we released now, dammit :P

My thoughts exactly...

#7 User is offline   TechyWebb 

• Technician

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Though normally I would agree about talking about older content as well but I do how ever agree that the Obelisk is shorter then it should be that makes it look more blocky/fat. If you check with C&C Renegades as well in skirmish mode for scale beside the hand of nod. The version made is close though so it can be tweaked.

Even still this mod is great and I hope it is completed unlike many other mods that were good but died before completion.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

#8 User is offline   cabal_12 

• Technician

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

View PostNyerguds, on 01 November 2010 - 01:30 PM, said:

As for the Obelisk, it's on the way... the new model is done (and looking great), but the texturing hasn't been completely finished yet, so yeah, you'll need a bit more patience for that one ;)

Cool. I was one of those annoying people complaining about that :P . Can't wait to see it! Seriously guys, this mod and TS Rising are basically going to be the catalyst for the purchase of a new iMac just so I can enjoy these retro delights in all their glory :D .

Love your work!

#9 User is offline   Herr_Koos 

• Commando

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:18 AM

View Postcabal_12, on 10 November 2010 - 09:28 PM, said:

Cool. I was one of those annoying people complaining about that :P . Can't wait to see it! Seriously guys, this mod and TS Rising are basically going to be the catalyst for the purchase of a new iMac just so I can enjoy these retro delights in all their glory :D .

Love your work!

Maybe off topic here, but you want to buy a Mac for use as a gaming platform? In that case I hope you have other apps that justify the purchase?

#10 User is offline   cabal_12 

• Technician

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

View PostHerr_Koos, on 11 November 2010 - 05:18 AM, said:

Maybe off topic here, but you want to buy a Mac for use as a gaming platform? In that case I hope you have other apps that justify the purchase?

I'm going to be buying one anyway because my current system is aging a bit and I've gotten rid of my old gaming PC from years ago. I don't really play games anymore, I just play the odd classic for nostaligia's same. C&C 3 would run nicely on a top end iMac, so I kill two birds with one stone.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users