• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Red Alert 3 Timeline Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Killerkidd 

• Civilian
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

This is my first time posting here, but I've been a "mainstay" in the C&C community for years. From starting off at RA2Mods.com as a complete n00b, to hosting a fighting game at FedNet, to running Stardust Studios and chillin at C-GEN, I have a pedigree for all things C&C.

That said, the ambiguity of Red Alert 3 kind of irks me. Not so much the game itself -- rather the timeline. I played the game in this fashion (and it was on 360, which is an excellent port of an RTS I must say...so glad I no longer need to buy new hardware for each C&C game): Soviets, Empire, Allies.

The way I played it made the timeline very, very tough to figure out. Reading the manual (which you have to do for the 360 or else you'll never learn all the shortcuts) I gathered this, from the synopsis.

"The Soviets are at the brink of destruction from the Allied threat. The commander [Tim Curry] and General Krukov escape in a top secret time machine. Back in the past, they kill Einstein, and affecting the outcome of the war. Now, the Allies are at the end of their campaign when a new threat, the Empire of the Rising Sun, arrives onto the scene"

Ok, I got that. Now, let's look at some of the tech. First of all, the Empire has freaking transforming mechs. The Soviets' have armor that looks way too sophisticated for the 1940s and the same with the Allied technology, especially the Athena cannon.

Now, each headquarters has plasma TVs to video conference through and the cut scenes are just as ambigious. One cut scene shows civilians watching TVs that look like they were from the 80s, and one shows a teenage couple making out in front of an old timey wood panel TV. Did I mention that the Japanese thrive on transforming technologies?

At this point, I was wondering...without Einstein did 50 years worth of scientific progression happen inbetween his assassination and the Soviet's return to current times? Then once I beat the Allied campaign it all became clear. The president starts talking about how the entire world gets the enjoy the fruits of capitalism and drops "Plasma TVs" by name. So I guess RA3 happens in modern times.

So no, I'm not gonna complain that this interferes with the other canons of the C&C universe. If they want to separate the Tiberium, Red Alert and General worlds, I'm all for it. But what grinds my gears is all the ambiguity that comes with it. Am I to believe that they've been at war for 50-odd years? If so, for how long were the Allies at the brink of defeat? With Einstein killed has tech had advanced so far? Was George Takai assembling his army since WW2? Or did they invent shape shifting tech and psychic powers around the same time Astro Boy was created? All EA needed to do was either put a datestamp on one of the videos, or show the Soviets leave a piece of modern tech when they went back in time and I'd be happy. Or even better, kept the game in a more believable 1940s setting (strangely enough, the artwork is reminiscent of WW2 propaganda...)

Anyone else with me? It makes no sense, and aside from The Hoff telling us about Plasma TVs no one would know when in the world this game takes place.

This post has been edited by Killerkidd: 09 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

#2 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• Dark Lord of the Source
  • View blog
  • Group: Network Admin

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

Technology always advances faster in the C&C universes than it does in the real world. RA3 takes place somewhere between the 1970s and probably the 1990s. It starts at the end of RA2 or YR (I don't have it) and then the Sovs go back and kill Einstein only to come back to a different timeline. RA2 and YR take place in the 1960s to 1980s so RA3 must take place around the same time.

RA1 is the only prequel to the Tiberian story. RA2, YR, and RA3 are not linear or related.

But yeah the writers could be doing a better job with keeping consistency and proper linkage.

Oh right, also hi and welcome. ^_^

#3 User is offline   Killerkidd 

• Civilian

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

It's just so bizarre. I always thought the general conscensous was that it took place instead of WW2. So roughly around the same time then and I could even extend it to the 50s when the cold war started. I never knew RA2 took place in 1972 (according to one post I read here after I posted this one). That's news to me and I've been around since the damn game came out. So I can accept this now. Well, moreso than before.

But still, it isn't hard to insert a time stamp somewhere, for Christ's sake! I always thought that the C&C games went like this in order of time period: RA, Generals, Tiberium. But now you mean to tell me Generals and RA take place around the same time (according to RA3)? Why bother? Who wants to play two different worlds set in the same time period? That's like if you took Super Mario, reskinned the goombas and made only Luigi playable and wrote a new story for him, but had the same game and levels.

Now, to get nitpicky, RA3 brings up many questions. For one, if Einstein was killed, how do the Allies get Chrono technology? Also, Einstein helps, or killed Hitler in RA1. If Einstein gets killed so he can't invent the time machine for the Allies, Hitler should have never died.

Don't get me wrong, I took RA3 for face value. I played the f*ck out of it and still want to play co-op online so I can play the game over as the other commander you can't play as in single player, but these things bother me. Especially as a former modder and someone who spent many of his early teenage years in this community.

I bet Westwood would have kept with better consistency.

#4 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:14 AM

You're right that RA1 takes place instead of WWII, but RA2 and RA3 take place at a later time period.

Generals is absolutely and completely unrelated to any Command & Conquer game. It's just a strategy game with the words Command + Conquer on the box. The story has nothing to do with any other C&C and is unrelated.

You might want to read this thread on the APB forums. They keep changing the mechanics of how the time travel works in each RA game.

#5 User is offline   Killerkidd 

• Civilian

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

Ok, now I think I get it. So essentially this war has been going on for ages.

Starting at the beginning of RA3, the Soviets were at near defeat (which could be around the 90s, considering all the stuff between RA2/YR). They use the time machine (which was probably still a secret from RA2 time) to erase Einstein from history. Hitler is already erased because when you touch someone in the past, they are erased from all sorts of history. Ergo, the Soviets come back and they are winning. I always figured they would go back to the beginning of the war to end things early. Guess the time machine doesn't work like that -- you have to return to where you came from.

Still, a freaking timestamp never killed anybody...

#6 User is offline   Havoc 

• Chem Warrior

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:34 AM

Yeah man killerkid your right :) Still though when I was younger as in about 10 years ago so about 6 I was playing the RA's too and well i was pretty confused as to how some of this happened too its still all fun though :)

#7 User is offline   marcjs 

• Commander Lazarus
  • Group: Network Moderator

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Posted Image

theirs my concept of the red alert time lines :P

Black line = Real World Time Line
Blue line = Red Alert 1 and 2 Time Line
Red Line = Red Alert 3 Time line

however their is a few issues with it

1. Yuris Revenge takes place after red alert 2 but if General Krukov and Colonel Cherdenko go back in time then that whole time line is erased.

2. in the Red Alert 3 time line (Red) Red Alert 2 could not have happened because in Red Alert 3 they do not have any forces in America which is the main part of red alert 2. and so that would mean they(Krukov and Cherdenko) return after messing with time to essentially Red Alert 1 which just seems to have lasted a lot longer than it did prehaps it also started later.

the whole chronosphere thing could be explained that Einstein had drawn up technical documents before he was removed so his assistant (shown in Red Alert1) could have took them to future tech and then developed the Chronosphere for them.

and the nuclear weapons thing was more likely a political choice rather than because Einstein was removed. (after all Japan is the only country in the world were nuclear weapons have been used against it in a time of war :P)

#8 User is offline   Krit 

• Elegant Staff Member
  • Group: Network Moderator

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Talk about being confusing...

#9 User is offline   Mighty BOB! 

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:20 AM

It's about to get more confusing. :P

The mechanism and laws of physics of Time Travel seem to change with each RA game.

RA1 - A entirely new timeline is created via time travel.

RA2 - 2 timelines are merged via time travel.

RA3 - An already existing timeline is changed via time travel.

#10 User is offline   Havoc 

• Chem Warrior

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

Hmm Still though it does seem plausable doesnt it? i mean if Yuris revenge never happened then Yuri would still be somewhere in the world which would explain the Psychich Chick? maybe she was like failed or escaped or soemthign? or maybe yuri was hired by the Rising sun to conduct experiments which would mean that it is oddly similar to RA 2 or am i wrong?

And the new soviet crane is pretty much identicle to the crusher from RA2 YR and then that means that the soviets must have been in contact with Yuri at some point so would that not make the timeline with Yuri actually happen?

I dunno just other thoughts. I may have a loop hole somewhere BUT it would sorta explain it no?

I have theries on the other things too but we can bring that up some other time :)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users